Thursday, May 7, 2009

POTTY TIME!

Today Seth used the potty at our house. First time ever, here. He's done it twice at the daycare (they go to the local daycare on Thursday mornings to give me 3.5 hours of child-free living!), and this morning was the second time. So when he got home, we tried, but nothing.

After nap time his pull up was dry and I insisted he try the potty again. Temper tantrums ensued. It was ugly. I held my ground. He wouldn't stand at the "big potty" but finally agreed to sit on the little potty. And after a while, he went. I made a really big deal over that. He got a Thomas sticker to wear on his shirt, a matchbox car from the basket (the firetruck, he's been wanting that), and he got to pick out a sticker to put on his Elmo potty chart.

I got him to try again about an hour later, nothing. So then we went outside and played for just a little bit (it was buggy) and got haircuts. They were dirty so bath time followed, and as I was getting the bath ready, Seth was sitting on the potty and went again!

This is major and huge. We're all so excited about this, and he is too. He rarely says no to sitting on the potty, except earlier when he was really into playing with his trains. His pull up has been dry all day long.

Ben has no interest right now, and honestly, it's easier to do one at a time. I think once Seth gets it down pat Ben will follow. He's a follower, and he wants to do everything Seth does.

Oh, and after the first time Seth pottied this afternoon, before I cleaned it out, he kept looking at it -- that's mine. Then I let him pull the handle down to flush it, when I cleaned it out into the big potty. You could tell he was proud of himself!

No comments: